How to keep your baby cool at night during summer
Gosh its sweltering right now isn’t it? Well here is a list of easy ways to keep your baby cool at night during the summer weeks / months. (We wish it was months.)
- During the day keep the curtains closed but the windows open if you’re at home.
- If you have a loft hatch keep it open to allow the heat to escape.
- Keep them well hydrated through the day
- Use only cotton bedsheets
- Give them a (quick) lukewarm or slightly cooler bath before bed so they feel more comfortable while falling asleep
- Dress baby appropriately – in this heat a vest will do, or just the nappy if they are still unhappy (which we had to do at 5am this morning)
- Stick big bottles of water in the freezer and leave them in the bedroom at night, this will cool the air in the room. You could even leave the frozen bottle in front of a fan in the room, which will push the cold air along. Just make sure that the fan is not directed straight at the baby.
- Keep water near the bed (for non breastfed babies) – they may wake up thirsty in the middle of the night, if they wake up fussing that will just make them hotter, try giving them a sip of water
- If you want to check their temperature check their back of their neck, not hands or feet, which will always be a little cooler to the touch.
- Consider changing rooms to a cooler one if you have that option
If you have any other tips that you rely on please share!